Divorced: Can I get Married in Church in Italy?

Home Forums Getting Married Abroad Divorced: Can I get Married in Church in Italy?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi all,
    Finding it hard to find any definite answer online. As most seems to deal with women being divorced and having to wait 300 days.

I am the male part of this couple and was married. However I wasn’t married in a church ceremony over here, just a registry office.

Does anybody know if I can get married in a Catholic church in Italy? Or know where I could find out the answer to such a question.

Many thanks in advance.
    M2B

Anonymous

Dear M2B,

I asked a wedding planner we often work with and who often works with couples that come from outside of Italy, and she said that unfortunately the persons (female or male) who already have been previously married can’t get married in a church in Italy, whether the previous wedding has been a church or registry office wedding. She also added that it isn’t even possible to do a blessing in a church.

However, it is possible to organize a blessing in the location where you’ll have your wedding reception; she also mentioned two professional celebrants who work with her in those occasions.

If you want to talk directly to this wedding planner for further and more detailed information, write me an email and I’ll give you her contacts: [email protected].

kind regards,
    Laura
    Photo27 – Servizi e Foto Matrimonio dei fotografi Estella e Diego – Studio fotografico principale : Milano , via Manzoni – Riceviamo anche presso studi di fotografia di : Novara, Torino, Legnano, Genova, Varese, Pavia, Verbania, Biella

Mr2Be;4707 wrote: Hi all,
    Finding it hard to find any definite answer online. As most seems to deal with women being divorced and having to wait 300 days.

I am the male part of this couple and was married. However I wasn’t married in a church ceremony over here, just a registry office.

Does anybody know if I can get married in a Catholic church in Italy? Or know where I could find out the answer to such a question.

Many thanks in advance.
    M2B

Anonymous

Mr2Be;4707 wrote: Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.
    M2B

The 300 days refer to the legal time it has to pass since you were legally divorced. But you can marry in a church if you have never been married in a church before. Civil weddings have no value whatsoever for the Catholic church. It’s like living with your partner outside of marriage. What counts is whether you have already received the sacrament of marriage or not. If you have, then you either get an annulment from a religious court or you can’t get married in a church again as the sacrament is for life like Baptism, Confirmation or First Communion.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.